Tuesday, February 22, 2011

GFree Gnocchi with Vodka Sauce

I have decided not to eat dinner out during the month of February. For a NYC gal who loves going to restaurants this is an EXTREMELY difficult feat to embark on!

My best friend came up to NYC for a visit this past weekend and I knew that if I was going to convince her that eating out was not all it is cracked up to be, I needed to find some AMAZING recipes!

Enter my grand idea...GNOCCHI with VODKA SAUCE!!!!

So after a long day of doing everything other then researching recipes I quickly googled gnocchi recipes and printed out 4! Being that none were gluten free I decided to come of up with a blend of all 4. I had potatoes, rice flour, potato starch, corn starch, eggs and parmesan cheese…the rest of the ingredients on the lists were either not gfree or not in my pantry.

I hope you enjoy this recipe. Let me know how it goes for you!

Here is what I came up with:
3 Medium sized potatoes
1 cup of gfree flour (I used rice, but I am sure most light flours would work)
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup corn starch
2 eggs
1 handful parmesan cheese
1 tbsp butter or margarine

Directions:
Make mashed potatoes aka boil potatoes and mash!
Dump everything into a large bowl and kneed until blended
Flour cutting board (gfree flour of course)
Make ropes of dough
Cut ropes into 1 inch size pieces
Add a handful of raw gnocchi into boiling and salted water
Let cook until gnocchi float (about 2min)
Remove with strainer – DON’T pour water and gnocchi into the strainer, you will crush the gnocchi (that happened to my first batch)
Repeat cooking until all gnocchi is cooked

Vodka Sauce (recipe from Giada De Laurentiis):
1 jar marinara sauce
1 cup vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Directions
Simmer the marinara sauce and vodka in a heavy large skillet over low heat until the mixture reduces by 1/4, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Stir the cream into the tomato and vodka sauce. Simmer over low heat until the sauce is heated through. Stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted and well blended.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am following you from http://www.euforiaconfections.com/. I hope you come by and check my store, products and the thousand-layer cake! http://www.euforiaconfections.com/#products

    ReplyDelete